November 6, 2011

Green Smoothie

When I started eating more natural/less processed food I started making green smoothies for breakfast.





Green smoothies are a fruit smoothie with green leaves added. Don't be put off by the green colour, it really tastes so fresh and fruity and clean. It feels good for you, in a nice way :).

The craziest thing was that I had been drinking them for a few weeks but didn't mention them to anyone (as most people think they are a bit crazy) - then within a few days last week two different people mention to me that they were making them. Maybe there is a green smoothie movement happening :)





There are lots of combinations you can make - any fruit you like and any greens, add some water and blend it up. My local Harris Farm green grocer has small buckets of fruit that are slightly bruised at a cheap price. I buy whatever is available in the buckets each week. Luckily at the moment there are always mangoes in the buckets, which are so yummy in green smoothies.

My favourite recipe is;
2 oranges peeled and chopped up
1 small mango peeled and chopped
a handful of baby spinach
Pop in a blended and then add in about 1 cup water to blend up.

This makes about 500ml, I drink it in the car on my way to work. Yum.

I've added a video of Sara from Walk Slowly, Live Widly making a green smoothie.

How To Make a Green Smoothie from Sara Janssen on Vimeo.


(Photo credit)

No comments: