April 8, 2009

This is the pot

In my Creativity and Children tutorial this week we did clay. Clay is so therapeutic, I loved just kneading, rolling and moulding the clay. I played with it until we had 10 minutes left then I made a little bird.


We read a book called This is the pot that Juan built by Nancy Andrews-Goebel as a good way to introduce young children to the concept of using clay. It's got lovely bright illustrations. On one side it tells the story of making a clay pot using the traditional 'This is the house that Jack built" rhyme style. On the other side of the page it tells in more detail how Juan Quezada (a renowned Mexican potter) creates pots using traditional techniques.


I think children would find it very interesting (I did) and is a great way to inspire young artist.

No comments: