May 10, 2008

Vanuatu has been on my mind more and more lately.


I think about it when I walk into my room and see my frangipanis, I think about it when I walk through the markets, the faintest smell of coconut oil takes me back, I find myself remembering random details of my childhood - what it was like to 'grow up Island'.

Maybe it is because I've been reading Rachaels blog who lives where we lived, maybe it's because I've been writing all my memories down so I won't forget, maybe I just appreciate what it meant more than I ever did before. Maybe it's so much a part of me that I can't forget.

Three years ago I went back - to try and say goodbye, to get Vanuatu out from under my skin, to be able to finally live a normal Australian life.
But God had other plans. He knew I wasn't saying goodbye but instead opening my heart to a place I had tried to be rid of. Opening my heart to living a life for God - not myself. Opening my mind to being thankful for my upbringing and the possibility of serving God overseas. God used that time to bring me back to himself.

And for that I am grateful.

No comments: