January 1, 2012

New Year

I took myself away, for a retreat of sorts. Just me, my Bible, note book and laptop for a few hours of prayer, reflection and planning.
I found a little beach on a map and set the GPS. It was peaceful, I laid out a blanket under a tree, away from other people.

I read God's word and prayed.
And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.

I reflected on the year that's been. From this position, looking back I can say it's been a good year; I've stuck to several resolutions, watched special people get married, merged churches, made good friends, got new flatmates. I made mistakes and learnt from them. I've had my downs but been able to recover from them. I've laughed and cried and lived.

I planned for the year ahead. There's that quote about a wasted life is an unplanned one, but I can't really remember it. It's too easy to be swept along with life and not plan out what we're doing. Then suddenly you realise you are not where you wanted and haven't done what you thought you would. Life happens whether you do it intentionally or not. I'd rather plan for an intentional life. I chose a Bible reading plan, rejigged my weekly schedule, worked out when I would plan times for everything I want to do and everything I have to do.
I wrote down goals, and prayed prayers about the dreams I'm too scared to put to paper just yet.

What a lovely view :)

It was a lovely time, and I came home refreshed and rejuvenated (and unfortunately, a little sun burnt). I didn't get all the planning done I wanted too as the sun was too bright to use the computer effectively so I wasn't able to work on some blog posts and menu plans, but that's ok. I got the idea from a guest post at Keeper of the Home and it's something I hope to continue as a tradition. It's a great way to get ready for the year ahead and commit it to God.

Hope you all had a lovely New Years!

1 comment:

Alissa said...

Hi, I am a follower of your blog. I am doing the rounds spreading the Pinterest love at the moment. I've just put a link on my site to add your latest teaching ideas and discoveries from Pinterest if you are interested. Either link up your pinterest board or a post about your current faves.
You can find it here, From Mrs C @ Excuse Me! Mrs. C