December 13, 2010

Being

The last few weeks at night service at church we have been listening to Kirk Patstons talks from 2009 Easter Convention about a Biblical perspective on time, from Ecclesiastes. Ecclesiastes is a difficult book to read, but for the first time I was beginning to understand the perspective it was written from, and the imagery it uses to provoke thoughts.

I have been really challenged by the talks and can't recommend them enough. There is so much in each talk to think about and consider. I could go on about them all - but really Kirk says it so much better than I can :), you can download the talks here. (scroll down a little)

One of the things that I was challenged about was 'being in the moment'. Whatever I'm doing now is important, and I should be doing it well. Whether it's playing with kids, getting dinner ready, talking on the phone. I find I have gotten into the habit of always doing more than one thing at a time, distracting myself from the moment at hand.

So it was a good reminder to be, not constantly rushing and multitasking.

A person can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in their own toil. This too, I see, is from the hand of God, for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment? To the person who pleases him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness, but to the sinner he gives the task of gathering and storing up wealth to hand it over to the one who pleases God. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.
Ecclesiastes 2:24-26

 

No comments: