June 24, 2010

Identity

At church on Sunday night we didn’t have many people so we ended up doing a Bible study thing rather than having a proper service.


We were looking at 1 Corinthians 9


Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings
(1 Corinthians 9:19-23)

Something that our minister said  was that Paul was willing to give up anything to be able to tell people about God. It occurred to me that Paul’s identity wasn’t in the way he dressed, what he wore, his culture, his friends, his family. His identity was in Christ, and Christ alone.
I wonder what my identity is in? Is it in things that don’t last? Which things would I be willing to give up to serve God? My dreams, my health, my way of life, my comforts?

No comments: