November 8, 2009

Julie and Julia and Hommus


On Friday I went to see Julie and Julia.

Lovely movie; sweet simple stories, nothing controversial, and especially nice to have a movie where the main characters were both married and their relationships were explored in a positive light. I recommend it :).


Anyway, in honour of Julie and Julia I thought I'd post a recipe - there isn't any lobster killing involved and no butter either (Julia would not approve!).


Lately I've been experimenting making healthy food from scratch in an effort to get a bit healthier. Something I came up with was an absolutely delicious homemade hommus. (It's a very rough recipe, but it's the kind of thing where you just keep adjusting too your taste)

In a blender put 1 400g can of drained and rinsed Chick peas (you could also use the dried ones, just leave in a bowl of water to soak over night first).

Then add a generous teaspoon of chopped garlic, a pinch of salt, a table spoon of lemon juice and a table spoon of water. Also add chopped coriander (I'm lazy and keep a tube of the prechopped stuff in my fridge and just add a good squeeze - I think it adds about 2 teaspoons. Probably finely chop half a bunch of fresh leaves).
Then blend to the consistency that you like. If it's not blending to the right consistency just add a bit more water.


This tastes sooooo good. Ten times better than the store bought stuff. I love it with plain rice crackers so you get the full flavour of the coriander. I haven't tried it but you could probably substitute the coriander for another herb that you like (such as mint or chili).

It keeps in the fridge for about a week and I've had success with making big batches and freezing it in small containers then pulling them out as I need them.

4 comments:

Katie said...

I saw Julie and Julia recently too. Ah, the food, the clothes, Paris... Just gorgeous (if somewhat pointless :D )

Erin said...

lol, aren't most movies basically pointless?

Tracey said...

Can't wait to go and see it, need to wait until hubbies exams are over!

Kacie said...

yum, this sounds delicious, I'm printing it off! I really want to see the movie as well...