The quilt is all finished and gifted; so I can now show it without spoiling the surprise.
Isn't it cute? I'm really happy with it, especially considering I hadn't really done a quilt before (Well, there was a disaster in year 10 textiles when the teacher thought I knew what i was doing, but I didn't). The main problem I had was with the binding, I just sort of winged it :).
I basically just worked out dimensions for a simple square quilt with a simple boarder in between. It ended up being just under a meter squared - perfect for tucking in a cot or laying on the ground for baby to lie on.
I adapted the lion applique from Kim Schaefer's book Quilts, bibs, blankies . . . Oh my! It has lots of cute ideas for boy baby things, or gender neutral which is good because so many baby patterns can be a bit girly.
For the backing I decided to take a short cut (quilting purists stop reading now!), I just laid the quilt top onto a piece of polar fleece and quilted over it (no batting). I wanted the back to be pretty too so I quilted the cross in the squares before I appliqued the lion on. You can see the crosses on the back when you flip it over.
The baby should make an apperance in a few weeks, can't wait!