July 30, 2009

The Nativity Story

I borrowed The Nativity Story this week. I've been meaning to see it for a while, and quite enjoyed it. I felt that it stayed true to the Biblical story and did a good job of showing the look and culture of the time. A few extra bits were added to the story (which makes sense when trying to put a few passages of the Bible into a 1 1/2 hour movie), but I never felt that they had deviated from the truth. (Except that they added to Gabriel's message to Mary, to add a 'Hail Mary' to it, which was unnecessary)


I was happy that Mary was played by someone who was still a teenager, though Keisha Castle-Hughes' fake Aramaic accent drove me slightly nuts. There is also too many long mournful looks among the actors. I would have liked to have seen a little more joy, at least around the birth.

I'd recommend it if you want to see a visual representation of the Christmas story, though it's not for young children (Herod's killing of the babies is dealt with tastefully but is still there) (though I found it in the 'family' section of the movie store).



What I found weird personally was that while I was watching it, I didn't really associate it with the story I have read often from the Bible. It felt hard to think of it as a historical story. Is it because I'm desensitised to the screen, and so use to seeing made up stories that I naturally assume that movies are all fiction? Is it because I'm cautious of any thing based on the Bible because I think it's better to actually read the Bible rather than an adaption?
I wouldn't recommend it if you want to know about the birth of our saviour, simply because you can not go past the words inspired by the One who was there.

No comments: