January 30, 2012

Suffering

Found the church bulletin from a few weeks ago with some scribbling on it.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer.

 
And the notes I had written down from the sermon were;
"We will suffer and expect to suffer in this life. But we can also expect to be comforted by God in our suffering.
One of the reasons is so that we can comfort those who are also suffering."



The comfort from a friend who has walked the path I am walking is one that reminds me that God was with them through that time, so He will be with me. *

May I not be overcome by my trials, but allow God and friends to comfort me. And may I use these times to be able to reach out to others who are hurting and point them to God.

--------------------------------

*That's not to say that people can not comfort you if they haven't experienced what you are going through. I have had many wonderful friends who have let me cry on their shoulder and spoken amazing truths to me who are living and live a completely different set of circumstances to me. The ones who do this best point me to God, rather than try to make me believe that they understand exactly how I am feeling.

No comments: