February 3, 2011

Deliverance will arise

I had some of the girls from church over for dinner and we watched One Night With The King (a movie of the story of Esther – quite a nice film. It takes some liberties with the story and historical context, but stays reasonably true to the real story. And the costumes are gorgeous)


When it gets to the climax Mordecai says the line that many know from Esther 4 ‘And who knows but that you have come to your position for such a time as this?’ This line in the story is often quoted to back up that God puts us in certain places for certain reasons. Which I believe is true.

But I was struck by what Mordecai says just before this (In Esther 4:14) For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place.

I suddenly realised that Mordecai knew that God would deliver his people. Mordecai hoped that Esther would be a part of that deliverance, but Gods plans did not depend on Esther.

God would save the Jews whether Esther trusted Him or not.

God’s plans are not set in place by men; God makes his own plans and sets them into motion himself. God does not need to rely on a person to make His plans come about. If God gives us an opportunity to be part of His plans and we decide not to trust Him, then God will still complete His plan, but without using us.

How insignificant this makes me feel to realise how large and in control God is! How amazingly blessed it makes me feel to know that God can do so much without me and yet still chooses to allow me to play a part in his plans!

No comments: