May 13, 2010

Equip Part 2

Part 1 here

The second talk was given by Ainsley Poulos. Her talk hit straight to the heart because it was about Envy - “the sin no one admits to”. She explained envy is not just about coveting things that others have, but hating the person who has the thing you want. It’s about wishing evil against a person and poisons us from the inside.

Ainsley shone a light on the thinking that is often behind envy. We think that there is a limit to Gods good and if people are getting more than we think they should then we start to protest – what about me? We start to worry that we will miss out on our fair share. Basically we begin to question Gods goodness.

It’s important that we recognise when we begin to be filled with envy. Instead focus on God and all the good things he has given us.


The talks had much more details than I could write here, you will be able to get the talks at some point in the future from the Equip website, I think they will be well worth it.

For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.
1 Corinthians 2:2

Photo credit

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Oh, this is so true (and sad.) It's often a subconscious reaction. We (or at least I) feel upset or distant for some reason, and must identify what's wrong. If it's envy-- ouch. That's a tough weed to root out and replace. But I think replacing is the key. We can't possibly be joyful for the person and also be envious at the same time. One always crowds out the other. When God reminds me of His love for me, and His goodness towards me, it helps me be more joyful and thankful for others. It's a continual lesson, though.