February 19, 2010

Creative Sewing


I realised I haven't been sewing just for the sake of being creative. And the reason I love sewing so much because it is my creative outlet.

Not that Purple Frangipani isn't fun, but making the same garment a few times isn't as creative as making something from scratch. For me, half the fun is the developing the pattern, cutting out the fabric and watching something come together. It's that feeling of not knowing if it will work or not - then sewing the final stitch, turning it right side out and getting a little giddy because it has worked. The little sketch I dreamed up weeks ago is now a real three dimensional thing in front of me - I can touch it and use it and know "I made that".


So I got out fabric scraps and started a patchwork skirt. I stayed with the blue/purple colour scheme but just used up all the scraps I have lying around (I seem to have alot of those colours lying around, can't think why ;) )
And I started working on a project that's been kicking around in my head for a while. Just a sneak peek for now because I want it to be a surprise for the recipient - but so far I'm pleased with how it's turning out. And it's giving me a little hint of an idea for a new direction for Purple Frangipani. Love the joy of a new idea. (I'm using the fact it's a secret to account for the bad photo - not the fact that the lighting was awful!)

No comments: