December 6, 2009

Christmas Surprise

One of my favourite things about this time of year is the music that you hear all around.

At work we got some new Christmas CD's which is great because I was a little sick of the CD we have had for the last 3 Christmases. The new CD looked good - more 'O Holy Night' than 'Santa Claus is coming to town'.


I put it on when I opened that shop and started to do the organising, filling and cleaning that I like to get done before it gets busy. I forgot about the music, just humming along in my own little world - until I suddenly realised I was singing Bislama!

There are a few hymns that I obviously heard so often (or learnt while in) Vanuatu that I find it really hard to sing them in English - the Bislama words come out of my mouth without realising it. One of them is 'How Great Thou Art'. In fact I am so use to singing it in Bislama that I couldn't remember the English title tonight and had to sing it to Joshua and he recognised the tune.

I decided to investigate the CD a bit more and discovered that among all the other Christmas Carols and songs were a couple of old Hymns like 'The Lord is my Shepard' and 'What a friend we have in Jesus' .

It was a lovely uplift to my day to be at work in a secular store and having such great songs coming on as the CD went around!


And it made me sublimely happy to be singing "Be mi mi sing, mi prasem nam blong yu, we yu yu God, yu savem mi' (to those who can actually read Bislama excuse my spelling - I have enough trouble with English!) - though not too loudly so not to scare the customers away.
.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

we're still singing the same hymns!