June 7, 2009

Sewing Machine Meme

Sew Mama Sew is having a sewing machine month and is compling information on lots of differnt types of sewing machines. If you have a sewing machine you can join in by doing this meme.


What brand and model do you have? Janome DC3050




How long have you had it? About 2 years

How much does that machine cost (approximately)? About $700 AUD (I think that was on sale)

What types of things do you sew? I mainly sew clothes, both adult and kids. A few bags too.

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get? I go in phases - during uni breaks I can sew for a few hours each day, but then during term I have weeks when I don't touch it. I think I average about 6-8 hours a week normally.

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name? I like it, I feel like I've gotten into a great rhythm with it and I love using it. I especially love that it has purple trim :)

What features does your machine have that work well for you?
Some things I love are;
- The automatic needle threader, just pull down the lever, loop the thread and it's all done.
- It's computerised so each different stitch has a number which you have to press up or down to get to, but I love that it has quick reference numbers for straight stitch, button holes and zig zag because I use them lots.
- I love the special stitches it does, I don't use them often but it's nice to have a little flower vines to finish of a neck line or a hem.

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?

The automatic button hole maker; I wish I had the option of having more control over each stage of the button hole. It does it all by sensor but it often messes up if you have a seam near the button hole. It sometimes makes the hole too small or one side longer than the other, I have spent many minutes having to unpick button holes. An it is a really long and tedious task to do each part yourself.

And with the special stitches you have to scroll up and down to get to the right one, I'd rather be able to just key in the right number.

And even though you can control the speed with which you sew the fastest setting is still too slow for some of my sewing. Though I may just be a speeder.

Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!
It was my 21st Present. Mum and Dad suggested I might like it and so all of my family put in to get it. And I've been sewing non-stop since

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why? Yes, unless they will be doing alot of button holes, then I would get one which has a manual button hole option so you have better control over how it sews. It is a great value mid-range machine.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?
Think about what you want to sew and go from there. It's no use getting a fancy expensive machine if you only plan to do straight stitching.

Do you have a dream machine? Not really, I'd love an over locker (serger) one day, but I'm happy with my little Janome for now.

And a tip from me - I get my sewing machine serviced about every 12 months. It just keeps it running smoothly and still goes as well as when I bought it. Hopefully that will make sure it lasts a long time too.

No comments: