March 3, 2009

Couples at risk

In my Families and Community class we were going through the factors which place a couple at higher risk of getting a divorce within the first 5 years of marriage. A few things were obvious; abuse, extreme poverty, lack of family support. Then there was one which I wasn’t expecting;

Living together before marriage.

I had heard these statistics before, but it was amazing to hear this at a public university course – and to have it backed up with research.

God's way really is best.



(photo from sxc)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd be interested in knowing whether those statistics balance out after 5 years - whether not living together really is best or if those who don't simply break up later, because those who have have been living in a 'marriage-like' relationship for x years...

Erin said...

Yeah, I'm not sure. I wonder where I could find out . . .

Of course there are some people who despite everything will stay together and others who despite everything end up breaking up. I guess it's all about being willing to work at the relationship 'for better or worse', having support and making the relationship one of your main priorities.