July 17, 2008

Dancing Queen

Mum and I went to see Mamma Mia! today.

I have this thing about unnecessary exclamation marks. It really bugs me when people put a whole string of them after a sentence, and I don't like them in titles. But this movie, I think, deserved the exclamation mark. It's bright, it's loud, it's crazy and a whole lot of fun.


I've never really been a huge fan of ABBA, and probably wouldn't have thought of going to see this except that Mum really liked ABBA when she was younger so she wanted to see it and we haven't seen a movie together for ages. And I enjoyed.


While it had more than it's share of inappropriate references (why-oh-why do they insist on adding in all that stuff?), it's a light hearted bit of escapism - don't expect any earth shattering story line. It basically a story created as an excuse to burst into song and dance routines at every turn. The way the actors would suddenly start singing at the oddest of times and then suddenly be surrounded by random dancing Greeks only adds to the quirky fun of the film.


Two things to note: Pierce Brosnan can't sing (I think they should have swapped Colin Firth and his role cos Firth can sing) and if you see it expect to come out of the movie with the songs rolling 'round and around in your head.

Oh! and try to pick the 'blink and you'll miss it' cameo by Benny in the actual movie (he and Bjorn both pop up for a second at the very end too).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a really fun movie hey?
I laughed everytime the Greeks popped out of no-where to provide the back-up vocals. Hehe