November 28, 2007

WFMW - Finding quotes easily


I really, really REALLY hate it when people write in books. Possibly I'm a book snob, but I just love opening a book, no matter how old and only reading what the writer has written. (And not finding awful dog-eared pages, Is it that hard to find a piece of paper to slip between the pages? Respect for books!!!)


But the problem is that I often love a particular sentence, or phrase and when I go searching for it again I can never find it.


So this is a tip I got from somewhere. Get large post-it notes and stick one on the inside of back cover. Then when you are reading and come across something you want to remember you just go to the back of the book, write down the page number and either the quote or the main idea. (Please, please don't just write it in the back cover, I beg you!)Then later when you are looking for something you remeber reading just turn to the post-it and read the notes to find the page the quote/passage is on.

4 comments:

jennwa said...

I love this idea. I also hate to write in books, but I love to remember a good quote. Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous said...

I share your pet peeves. It's a good idea too.

Jendeis said...

I'm also loathe to write in books. Related to your tip is to use small Post-it flags on the exact page, pointing to the quote.

In summer camp, several of the girls kept "quote books" rather than journals, where they would write down and keep their favorite quotations.

Tiffany said...

Maybe I'm crazy, but I love coming across something written in a book- as long as it applies. It often opens my eyes to an insight that I had not thought of. But, this is a good tip for those who aren't like me! :)